Add-On Furnace FAQ
What add-on furnace accessories are available?
The DK-50 can help with making small temperature adjustments in the living room instead of directly on the front thermostat panel on the furnace. The Draft Induction Kit includes a thermostat which can be mounted anywhere in the home and is connected to a separate draft induction blower (which is in addition to the blower(s) on the back of the stove) that turns on and sends oxygen to the firebox making the fire burn hotter and increasing the temperature of the air in and around the firebox. The increase in the temperature in the air around the firebox will turn on the blowers. Compare to a gas furnace: When the thermostat is turned up, the burners turn on and then at a certain temperature the blowers turn on.AD-8 Anti-Back Draft Damper
This accessory is only for use if the Norseman furnace is used in conjunction with another furnace. When the other furnace is on and the Norseman is off, air should not go backwards into the Norseman and waste hot air. The AD-8 Anti-Back Draft Damper keeps the air out by closing off the pipes connected to the duct work unless the blowers are on.CR-15/25 Cold Air Return
The Cold Air Return boxes provide a hook up for cold air return. This recycles air from the living areas instead of pulling air from the furnace room (which may be colder and/or musty) and runs it through a filter. Cast Iron Stoves
How is the door gasket adhered?
The gasket is attached to your stove with a high temperature stove and gasket cement. Should the gasket fail, replacement gasket and adhesive is readily available at your local hardware store.
How do I replace the door gasket?
- Ensure appliance is not in operation and is thoroughly cooled.
- Remove old door gasket and clean channel.
- Using an approved, high temperature gasket cement, apply a thin coat in bottom of channel.
- Starting at hinge side of door, work 3/8-inch diameter fiberglass gasket material into channel around door unit, end butt and trim to length to ensure no gaps.
- Close door and allow three to four hours for cement to set before firing appliance.
How should I set the feed door draft?
It depends on the situation: how strong the draft is, wood or coal, what kind of wood, etc. It is different for everyone so it is best to tinker with it to figure out what works best.
How do I maintain the blower fan and motor?
Oil blower motor(s) twice a year. Add five drops of light weight (SAE 20) oil to each oiler tube. If the blower and fan accumulate moderate to heavy dust, vacuum, wipe and/or blow dust from motor housing and fan.
What end of year maintenance is needed?
Remove all accumulated ash from inside fire box and ash drawer compartment. Ash will absorb moisture and can cause corrosion.
What type of wood should I use?
To get the best burn you will want to have wood that meets the following criteria:
- Seasoned and split hardwood, wood that has been dried for one year in a well-ventilated and sheltered area. Hardwood comes from slow growth trees like Oak and Fir.
- Avoid green unseasoned wood which will only burn at 60% of the fuel value of dry seasoned wood and will deposit creosote on the inside of the stove and chimney.
- No sap!
- Use only DRY wood! (wet or damp wood leads to creosote - creosote also comes from incomplete combustion when a stove is burned too low).